As of last year I started making DIY skin care at home, that is actually the birth moment of ALAMI deodorant. The reason is simply to do a good deed for my body and myself. After learning a little bit more about the ingredients that are commonly used in many commercial products that most of them I cannot even pronounce, I want to move to natural ingredients. It is no surprise that skin is actually the biggest organ in our body and we can reduce so much toxins intake from our everyday use. There are too many ingredients which have a bad effect on the body in a long-term. Choosing natural product, is in my opinion a self-treating step while doing something small for the environment. Besides its benefits, it’s also fun to make!!!
Note: First try I used 1: 1: 1 from the solid ingredient (shea butter: mango butter: coconut oil), but for my taste it is too oily, so I subtract the coconut oil amount. That’s how it gets 1: 1: 1/2.
Ingredients (for result 80-100 ml), process time: 1.5 hours (including 1 hour chill the cream in the refrigerator), Shelf life: 5-6 months (even more with Vitamin E addition):
1 tbs shea butter
1 tbs mango butter (or cocoa butter)
1/2 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp Sweet almond oil (optional)
10 drops Essential Oil (optional)
3 drops Vitamin E (optional)
- Double boiler (pyrex measuring cup)
- Big bowl to mix
- Hand mixer
- Small jar to keep the lotion
- Mix the dry ingredients in the big bowl
- Mix the solid ingredients in the double boiler
- Boil water in a pot, put in the double boiler that was already used to mix the solid ingredients. Stir it until everything is melted
- Mix both melted ingredients and dry ingredients
- Drop essential oil, sweet almond oil and vitamin E. Mix it well
- Put it in the refrigerator and leave it for an hour
- After, an hour, put it out and use the hand mixer to crush and change the texture to butter/cream texture, depending on your preference
- Put the result to the jar
Tips: Keep in a place with temperature 20-25 degrees. Do not locate under direct sunlight. For those who live in the tropical place, you can keep it in the fridge.